Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mormonism: Service

Mormonism: Service


Mormonism and Service go hand in hand. Service is a form of love. The greatest commandment is to love God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength; and the second greatest commandment is to love our neighbors as ourselves.
Matthew 22:37-39 in the New Testament:
 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
 38 This is the first and great commandment.
 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mormonism teaches that if we want to serve God, we serve our fellowmen, or conversely, as we serve our fellowmen we are serving God.
Mosiah 2:17 in the Book of Mormon:
 17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

Benefits of Service

Not only does service obviously benefit the recipient, but service also greatly benefits the server. Mormonism teaches that giving service to others helps one forget one's own problems by seeing the difficulties and needs of others. Also, service brings the Spirit of Christ into one's heart -- that good feeling we receive inside. Sincere service develops love for the person we serve which love we can maintain in our hearts.

 Unselfish Service video

Lessons Learned as a Boy

Mormonism has taught me service my whole life. I feel good about myself and the way I spend my daily efforts when I give useful service to others. I'm grateful for opportunities to use my abilities and talents to help others -- it makes my life meaningful! Without Mormonism principles and learning of Christ's examples my life would be much more self-serving and less rewarding.


Read More about Service and Mormonism:


Q&A about Mormons and Mormonism
www.mormontopics.org

Mormonism and Beliefs
www.mormon.org

Numerous references about Jesus Christ and Mormonism
www.lds.org

Free Book of Mormon
www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

Chat with a Mormon missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: www.mormon.org/chat




No comments:

Post a Comment