Monday, December 10, 2012

Mormonism - Tithing

Mormonism: Tithing


Mormonism and tithing are a unique pair. While other people and religions give and receive donated monies, I only know of Mormonism that pays and collects tithing. Many people don't know what tithing is... so I will explain it.

Tithing is giving one-tenth of one's income, or increase, back to the Lord. I say, "back to the Lord" because the scriptures teach us that God gives us everything, so anything we give is simply giving back to God what we already received as a gift/blessing.




Malachi, and Old Testament prophet wrote the most blunt expectation of God regarding tithing in Malachi 3:8-11 "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.'

This verse gets my attention when it tells me that I'm robbing God if I don't pay my tithing! I chose to pay my tithing since I was a child. I still remember the little jewelry box I used to put my tithing in until I gave it to the Mormon church ward I attended. I can't remember paying tithing while in college, but hopefully I did. There were a few years I didn't pay my tithing when I was very discouraged spiritually. Thankfully, Christ provides repentance to each of us. Because of it's simplicity, tithing is able to figure out easily and know I'm either obeying that commandment or not. 


I like the last verses that tell us if we pay our tithing, we will be blessed ...again. God is very generous to give us all we have, and then bless us more as we pay tithing... which is really sharing our blessings with others. I have never run out of finances to take care of my needs; I feel that is a blessing from God whether it's a result of paying tithing or not.



Miracle of the Holy Bible video; many treasures to know.

Read about Mormonism and Tithing: www.mormontopics.org
Read about Mormonism: www.mormon.org
Search numerous references about tithing: www.lds.org
CHAT live with a Mormon: www.mormon.org/chat?cid=sgo-csm-cm
Read the Book of Mormon: www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment