Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mormonism: Tests and Trials

Mormonism: Tests and Trials

Mormonism and trials??? Duh! Any devoted Church member can attest to trials and tests of many kinds. The harder we work to do what's right, the more adversary comes into our lives! 
Because Mormons believe in upholding the laws and ordinances in the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, and modern-day prophets we are consistently striving to improve our understanding and obedience-- as well as consistently falling short due to human nature and ability.

For most of my Mormonism life, I believed that if I was obedient enough (good enough) that I would not have to suffer great trials... boy, was I wrong! I'm not perfect, but I certainly have suffered great losses and pains despite my efforts to do the right thing as much as is humanly possible. To be honest, I became quite angry with God about this for a while; yet now, I'm gaining some understanding of the reason behind trials that we didn't bring onto ourselves by our own wrong-doings or mistakes.

Reading a particular phrase about Jesus Christ's suffering jumped out at me: 3 Nephi 11:11 "And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning." (Book of Mormon)
"...which the Father hath given me..." ...that small phrase helped me see that God, the Father gives us trials! Heavenly Father gave Jesus Christ trials! As perfect as Christ was during His mortal life, He still suffered "all things" that God gave for Him to suffer. What an incredible example! This has undoubtedly been part of my Mormonism teachings, yet I needed to "see" it on my own, in my own time. I see that I need to humbly submit to the trying things in this life as Jesus Christ did. Some of them are from the adversary, but some trials are from God. 

I'm not sure why we have to under-go difficult tests; supposedly it's to help us humans grow spiritually. I've read the book-answers, but I still don't fully understand it. I suppose I will understand better in time and perseverance.

CHAT with Mormon Missionaries about Adversity!
 Of course our trials give us each the opportunity to turn to our Savior, Jesus Christ for guidance, comfort, and healing... is that the main reason behind God's giving us trials? To know Jesus Christ must be the greatest gift we can receive now and in the eternities!

Rescued by Jesus Christ

Come what may and Love It
by trusting Jesus Christ

Learn More about Jesus Christ and Adversity:

Q&A about Mormonism

Mormonism Beliefs and People

Plethora of Mormonism References

Take a chance to chat live with Mormon Missionaries

Read your own copy of the Book of Mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment